One of the first houses to be built in Stamping Ground was the frame and brick residence attributed to Alexander Bradford, an original trustee of the town and a member of the noted family of Bradfords. The Bradford house was the only original Stamping Ground building to survive the 1974 tornadoes, when eight historic structures were so severely damaged by the storm that they were subsequently torn down. Restoration of the house was given high priority by the Kentucky Heritage Commission, which provided matching funding for a preservation project.
Stamping Ground, bearing the historic name which it was given by explorers when hundreds of buffalo en route to the Kentucky and Ohio Rivers stopped at the spring and stamped down the ground, was laid out on a 162 acre farm sold to Joseph and Scott Herndon by Robert Johnson. Because both Robert Johnson and Scott Herndon died before a deed could be made, a commission was named to make deeds for their estates. Some of the early deeds call the community "Herndonsville."
On April 1, 1816, the Johnson estate gave title to the farm to the Herndons. On September 5, 1817 lots were laid off and sold. Rodes Smith, Alexander Bradford, and Maureen Duvall were the commissioners. Bradford's house was probably begun with the brick section. To this section an ell was affixed. The frame section on the corner possibly was erected around 1830. Bradford was a son of Benjamin Bradford, whose will was probated in Scott County in 1838. There were five sons and four daughters, the sons including, in addition to Alexander, John V. Bradford, artist and silversmith. Alexander Bradford was the second citizen of the town to receive a license to keep an ordinary. That privilege as granted in 1820, the same year that fellow townsmen, Stephen Lucas, Thomas Gordham, James Johnson, Jesse Samuel, and Elias Thomason received the same rights to feed and board travelers on the then "main road to Cincinnati." Thomas B. Catlett provided the security for Bradford's bond. The property was bought by Bradford's son, Benjamin, in 1851. His widow, Jane, and her daughter and son-in-law, the William Glasses, lived there. At the time that the April 4, 1974 tornadoes swept through Stamping Ground, there were still several older buildings which had survived two major fires of previous decades. Within days, what was left of two brick houses and the Stamping Ground Baptist Church in town, and two frame buildings just north of town, as well as two historic structures on the Woodlake Pike, were bulldozed away. The Bradford house and the old Buffalo Spring were all that was left of the original Stamping Ground. Mrs. Jewel Lancaster, owner of the house, decided not to have the property razed immediately. An option was secured by the mayor of Stamping Ground, Clayton Kidwell; and several months later, Stephen Mooney, planner for Georgetown and Scott County, exercised the option. The Mooneys set to work on their future home, and by late 1976 the saving of Stamping Ground's only original building was complete.
Source: Ann Bolton Bevins, A History of Scott County As Told By Selected Buildings, 1989.
This is an excellant book for anyone interested in the history of Scott County. You may contact Mrs. Bevins at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in purchasing her book.